Goals and Objectives
Ensure that there is at least one AED available in every Albertan School.
Project Brock is working on having AED's delivered and installed to all North Zone #1 schools.
- Ensure that there is an AED available in every Peace River School Division school. This objective is well under way, with 13 out of 20 schools currently having AED's. Project Brock provided AED's to 4 of these schools.
- Ensure that the AED's placed by Project Brock are registered with Alberta Heart Safe Communities
- Ensure that there is an AED available in every North Zone #1 school by the end of year 2014.
- Identify what Albertan schools do not have AED's.
- Formally request that Premiers and the Prime Minister consider providing funding to have AED's placed in all Albertan schools that are currently without
- After having AED's placed in all Albertan schools, Project Brock will consider lobbying for AED's in all Canadian schools.
- Introduce legislation mandating that AED's are required to be placed in every school with skill drills (similar to fire extinguishers and fire drills) through the lobbying of appropriate government officials.
Raise awareness regarding sudden cardiac arrest, CPR and AED use
- Create a PowerPoint presentation regarding sudden cardiac arrest, CPR and AED use for schools. The PowerPoint is currently close to completion.
- Create a PowerPoint presentation for stakeholders.
- Raise awareness of Project Brock through media association. Project Brock has been part of interviews with CKYL, The Fairview Post, The Edmonton Sun, CTV, and AHS.
- Create links to information packages for stakeholders, such as schools, School Boards, Alberta Teacher Association, Municipal Districts, MLA’s, MP’s and also for potential donators.
- Contact principal's of each Peace River School Division and request to give a presentation regarding CPR, AED use, and sudden cardiac arrest. The Project Brock Society has currently given presentations to 4 out of 20 Peace River School District schools with several more booked.
- Send every North Zone #1 school a PowerPoint and information to give their students and staff the presentation.
- Send every Albertan school a PowerPoint and information to give their students and staff the presentation.
- Collaborate with Colleges and Universities in order to have nursing students take part in providing schools with basic training and awareness regarding CPR, AED use, and sudden cardiac arrest. Project Brock Society aims to have first year nursing students participate in raising awareness in a manner similar to the Tobacco Free Kids program.
- Project Brock will collaborate with teachers and the Ministry of Education to create a curriculum insert regarding health outcomes related to CPR, AED use and sudden cardiac arrest. The inserts will be tailored to suit the different age categories of students.
Assist school boards in increasing individual school compliancy with mandatory health outcomes for life-saving skills as part of the curriculum for Kindergarten to Grade 9 students, and the curriculum for Grade 10 students.
- Meet with different school boards and ask them to put forward a resolution to address the issue of noncompliance.
- Request to meet with Alberta school board association to clarify goals and create agreement regarding expectations, as well as to gain support for CPR and AED education in schools.
- Request to meet with Municipal Districts # 21 and #36 to help create a provincial resolution, clarify goals and create agreement regarding expectations, as well as to gain support for CPR and AED education in schools.
- Request to meet with Alberta Teachers Association to discuss methods for resolving the issue of noncompliance clarify goals and create agreement regarding expectations, as well as to gain support for CPR and AED education in schools.
- Continue dialogue and collaboration with the Western Canadian Children's Cardiac Network and associated specialists to reinforce the necessity of CPR and AED education in schools and promote screening.
- Contact Premiers and Prime minister to request that they assist in promoting awareness of CPR and AED use education in schools.
- Collaborate with the EMS cadets and First Responders programs to heighten student participation.
Increase the number of teachers and coaches trained in CPR and AED use.
- Collaborate with Workplace and Occupational Health and Safety in order to clarify whether it is possible to create legislation requiring that every teacher be trained in CPR and AED use.
- Collaborate with the Alberta Teachers' Association to work towards having the majority of teachers trained in CPR and AED use.
- Request that Alberta Health Services provide CPR and AED use training at professional development days for teachers.
- In the case that Alberta Health Services is unable to provide CPR and AED use training at teacher professional development days, Project Brock will organize and attempt to provide basic CPR and AED use training at the professional development days locally.
- Collaborate with the ACT foundation and the Canadian Heart & Stroke foundation to help provide funding and cover costs associated with training teachers in CPR and AED use.
Create an insert for the school district Crisis Response Manual
- Develop a crisis response insert based on best practice for sudden collapse and/or unconsciousness.
- Provide the crisis response insert to all schools in Alberta.
- Contact each Peace River School Division school and request that the crisis response insert be posted in every classroom.
- Contact each North Zone #1 school and request that the crisis response insert be posted in every classroom.
- Contact each Albertan School and request that the crisis response insert be posted in every classroom.
Initiate CPR and AED skill drills and emergency response plans in every school
- Create a document on how to respond to situations where CPR and AED use are necessary for schools and make available on website.
- Provide information, via website and links, to Peace River school division schools on how to initiate and carry out CPR and AED skill drills.
- Provide information via website and links to the North Zone #1 schools on how to initiate and carry out CPR and AED skill drills.
- Provide information via website and links to all Albertan schools on how to initiate and carry out CPR and AED skill drills.